Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Girl Who Spelled...

When I was in 3rd grade, one of my favorite public-library movie rentals was The Girl Who Spelled Freedom. This made-for-TV movie (based on a true story!) was about a Cambodian girl who came to live with an American family and ended up winning the big spelling bee championship. Thus, my infatuation with spelling bees began.

This week, I was asked to be a caller at the National Spelling Bee (for all bilingual schools) here in La Ceiba. They wanted a native English speaker to pronounce the words for the students. By luck of the draw, I was assigned to 4th grade.

Yesterday morning, I showed up at the National Spelling Bee and was greeted by a giant tissue-paper bee (Think pencil eraser with a small square of tissue paper, dip in glue and stick to paper). This bee was at least 20 feet tall... They go all out here!

So my story of the day... After calling about 200 words for my 17 4th grade finalists, I pull the next word. Here is a script of how it went down...
Karine: Your word is "flicker"
Child: flicker? Can I have it in a sentence?
Karine: Flicker- I watched the candle flicker in the darkness. Flicker
Child: Can I have another sentence?"
Karine: The lights will flicker as the electricity goes out. Flicker.
Child: Can I have a definition?
Karine: Flicker- to burn unsteadily, shine with wavering light . Flicker.
Child: (Sigh) Flicker. F-U-C-K-E-R. Flicker.
Karine: I'm sorry, that is incorrect.

I had to work pretty hard not to giggle. I held it together. The final word that determined the champion was "vague" ("Vague v-e-g Vague.")

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. Out of the mouths of children...

Casey and Tom said...

f-u-n-n-y

ska said...

Karine,

It is two in the morning and I am in California ESL Methods for every f-ing teacher in the whole state HELL.

Luckily, I am a very good procrastinator and happened upon your blog and story. HI-larious, and not to mention very relevant to my "EDU 558X: First and Second Language Development and Structure" world. THANKS! Hope you are well.

ska said...

p.s. Are you on facebook?? This happens to be another very good distraction tool. I hope to see you there soon!

Megan said...

that is an awesome story! I think I will share it with my mother.

Anonymous said...

Cynthia says you have what it takes to get your storytelling syndicated and get paid for it! Bemidji Fiction Writers Anonymous