Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Getting Crafty and Spray Paint Love

I've been on a crafty kick, trying to give new life to some old stuff.
I have recently discovered spray paint.  I love it.  It's so fast and fun and transformative!


Take these boring brown bulletin boards I picked up at a garage sale for $2 each.  I sprayed them with some pretty white spray paint, used a staple gun to cover them with some leftover fabric from my craft closet and voila!  Some cute bulletin boards to display kids' artwork in the playroom!








Zadie's walls have been pretty boring. I've seen this decorating idea around Pinterest and a few other DIY blogs, so I figured it would be an inexpensive way to add a little color to her walls.  Right now it's a little sparse, but eventually it would be fun to add even more.

Embroidery hoops from Hobby Lobby $1-$3 each-  fabric scraps from craft closet- free!


One tip I learned awhile ago is that when you want to hang big items (or several items) on a wall, you can use a big piece of paper (I used leftover Christmas wrapping paper) to hang do the layout on a table.
 After things are as you want them, mark the nail hole placement and just tape your paper on the wall.  You can nail right through the paper and tear away, and then everything is just where you want it!




I picked up an ugly floor lamp at a neighbor's garage sale last weekend.  They had a bunch of things that were left over from a hotel liquidation sale-  gold/brass finish and plain white shade.  Similar to these:



I used my new favorite spray paint (Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze - ORB)  to give the base an updated look.


 I figured the shade couldn't get much uglier, so I spray painted it blue to pick up the color in my bulletin board fabric. I'm toying with the idea of adding trim or ribbon to the bottom, but for now, I love it!


Speaking of ORB-  did you know you can spray paint just about anything???  For our master bathroom, we considered new lighting fixtures, but then found that it would require bringing in an electrician and and cutting new holes in the walls-  all too complicated.  I sprayed the brassy gold fixtures with ORB and now the hollywood lights are much more bearable!  (Though having all bulbs on is too hot and bright so we unscrew a few to tame it down.)




I also sprayed the light covers and towel racks to match.  I've got plans to do the door knobs in the bathroom, but realized that would lead me to spray paint all the knobs in adjoining rooms.  24 sets (and hardware) around the whole house.  A project for the fall.

That's what we've been up to!




No comments: