Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cramming for Finals

I've been a having a reoccurring dream since we left Honduras. I'm in school. Sometimes high school, sometimes college. Usually, it's a class I more or less like, German or physics. I love them both, but they're the type of classes where you can't really goof around when it comes to studying. You can either conjugate heiraten or you can't. You either know how to measure the flight speed velocity of an African swallow or you do not. In my dream, I am unprepared for the quiz or discussion of the day. I have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I know that if I'm called on I'm just going to sit there and stutter and look stupid and not know the answer because I didn't study.

You don't have to be like a high-caliber psychoanalyst to figure out what's going on here. Many parents, I'm sure, have similar bad dreams. Here's the good part. (There's always got to be a good part). When I wake up the first thing I feel is relief. Because I am not in school anymore. The test I didn't study for existed only in my imagination. And the real-life tests are actually mostly fun.

No comments: