Monday, August 13, 2007

On having a maid...

We had our first day of school today. That was great- more about our school days in a different entry.
But today a funny thing happened. Every day, while we're at work, a maid comes into our guesthouse and washes our coffeepot and any little dishes we've left in the sink, straightens things up around the house, neatly arranges pillows on our couch, makes our beds, and organizes our food area. She also cleans the bathroom and brings fresh towels every day. Today, I had to run home after school to pick up a checkbook. To my dismay, I noticed that our toilet was backed up in an unpleasant way and smelled gross. Since I only had a couple minutes, I couldn't do anything about it and left the room quickly and went back to my classroom.


Upon arriving home tonight, we had new sheets on the bed, our dishes were again washed, fresh towels hanging in the bathroom, and everything looked a little sparkly. The toilet had been unclogged and was not smelly anymore.

After dinner tonight, Tom and I were reviewing our latest vocabulary words. We've written them in Spanish on a post-it note on our refrigerator. The words are el jabon (the soap) and el olor (the smell). These words had come up when I was looking for laundry detergent over the weekend, and the smell when our security guard asked us to microwave his yummy smelling soup for him.


It was only when we noticed that we have 3 kinds of dish soap and 5 bars of soap (courtesy of our maid) in the bathroom that it occurred to us that perhaps our maid thought we were leaving her a note about our problems in our best gringo spanish. "The soap!" "The smell!" She took care of both of them for us!



Oh- Gringos in Hondo!

6 comments:

KarenLew said...

Oh what a great story! It was so great to hear your voices tonight...I miss you both so much! You know, maybe the maid left you so much soap because she found you both to....para oler asqueroso (to smell filthy or foul...per freetranslation.com) Just kidding :)
Much love, mark and karen

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your adventures. It seems like I know more about your life now that when you were in the Cities...not that having an aunt keep tabs on you is a desirable thing. Finding the humor in life is so refreshing and so important to well-being. Love to both of you from Cynthia and Marilyn.

Anonymous said...

I love this: "To my dismay, I noticed that our toilet was backed up in an unpleasant way and smelled gross." As if a toilet is ever backed up in a pleasant way.

Anonymous said...

PS That was me, Ann. Duh.

Casey and Tom said...

I had a one room maid once. His name was Tom. He did a fantastic job cleaning the bathroom. He moved to Hondo. Our bathroom is filthy.

Karen speaks Spanish?

Thanks for the call. Tommy's curious about the ocean- perhaps a blog request. I agree with Ann.

Anonymous said...

Ja! I find it rather cute that your maid did that!