Friday, May 7, 2010

Baby Name Rejects for Twins: Anna and Banana

Anna and Banana Lewandowski

What if we gave one of the twins a regular name and named the other one after our favorite fruit? That’s what I was thinking. Great idea!

Many twins have trouble establishing identities separate from their brother or sister. It’s a real problem for a lot of kids. It can be even more difficult for same-sex twins, doubly so for identicals. I thinking naming one of the twins after a delicious fruit would do a lot to differentiate one from the other.

Here's how the kids would see it:

She is Anna. I am Banana. We are different. I am okay because my name is Banana. She is okay because her name is Anna.

Anna is a really great name. And a banana is a really great fruit.

These names we were considering for a girl-girl set of identical twins. They have been rejected. Karine says that Banana is not a serious name for a little girl and that I should “get real” and “stop goofing around” and “find a job,” which, I think, is all well and good, but sort of closed minded.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I taught a set of twins a very long time ago.. named Rita and Dorita. And the mom was named Dorita too. They were a tough set of twins, and their mom was no one to play around with either. I recall that Dorita the Senior had tattoos and large muscular arms .. No ONE EVER teased them.