Saturday, November 13, 2010

Classical Music is for Everyone: Chopin

Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin had a couple of things going for himself:

1) Polish.
2) Sweet name.
3) Genius.
4) Married to brilliant French writer.
5) Polish.

I didn't rock out to Chopin's music much when I was younger. Maybe it's because I didn't have patience, or didn't know how to "listen." I just wasn't ready, I guess, to chill out to Chopin's wickedly expressive piano tunes. Now I am.

Here is my take on Chopin. Bear in mind, I may not know what I am talking about. Dude appreciated silence. Was a composer who recognized the gravity of bringing sound into the world. Back then, I'm sure, a lot of people just sort of spewed forth a constant stream of sounds: thoughts, opinions, phrases, nonsense, jargon, opinion, feelings. Well, that's fine. But just like now I'll wager that most of it was pretty worthless.

Chopin was like this in his music: Watch out. Be Careful. Should I play this note? This phrase? Is it authentic / real / relevant? Tentatively, unbridled passion. Introspective emotion.

This Russian here nails it. She is Yulianna Avdeeva, winner of this year's Chopin competition. She's playing Chopin's E minor piano concerto. Well. Very.


No comments: