Monday, February 16, 2009

Money can buy happiness, sometimes, according to science

I read a press release this morning for a San Francisco University study about money and happiness. The study claims that money does, in fact, make people happy, provided that it is spent on experiential purchases. An experiential purchase, according to the study, is something like theater tickets or dinner at a nice restaurant. These purchases, the author says, “satisfy higher order needs, specifically the need for social connectedness and vitality — a feeling of being alive.” So if you are feeling down, and have a few bucks to burn, invest in an experience. Try to make it a good one. Thank you, science.

Remember to spend your money wisely: vacations, trips to the circus – much happiness, toasters, pants – not so much.

I just can’t get over the phrase experiential purchase. It’s my new favorite piece of meaningless jargon.

Way to go science!

Awesome!

2 comments:

Los Lofchies said...

Great post. Gotta love the circus. What if I want to experience toast? Should I buy the toaster? Or just Toast?

Karine and Tom said...

That's what I am talking about.

Silly science. What I am really looking forward to is a non-experiential purchase.